- By enrolling in a real estate investing program, you can expect to learn anything from investing strategies and finance to marketing.
- Knowing how to choose the right education system starts with defining your personal, financial and career goals.
- Get started by researching training programs that will allow you to customize curricula around these goals.
The number of real estate training programs is on the rise, as is the growing number of Americans who want to invest in real estate. According to a 2017 survey conducted by market research firm Harris Interactive, public interest in real estate investing remains strong. Over seventy percent of Gen X and Millennial respondents agreed that investing in real estate is a good way to generate income. However, nearly two-thirds of the survey respondents stated that they have not acted on their interest in real estate investing due to barriers such as cost, difficulty and specialization.
These perceived obstacles stem from a lack of information, which can be debunked through proper training and education. However, it is important for prospective real estate investors to know that not all real estate training programs are created equal. The following will discuss industry standards for training programs, so that those considering real estate training can learn how to choose the right program and get started.
What You’ll Learn From A Real Estate Investing Program
Through most real estate investment training programs, one can expect to learn about popular exit strategies such as rehabbing, wholesaling and buy-and-hold real estate. For example, someone who wants to pay off student debt by earning lump sums may choose to invest in fix-and-flip properties. On the other hand, an individual who wishes to earn a steady income over time and secure their retirement might choose to invest in rental properties. This type of vital information will help individuals decide what strategies will best align with achieving personal goals. In addition to investing strategies, training programs should help develop a wide array of skills and techniques, not the least of which include:
- Strategy-specific training
- Establishing a new business
- Marketing and advertising
- Raising capital
- Financial planning and analysis
- Investor mindset and entrepreneurship
- Contractor and vendor management
- Identifying buyers and sellers
- Due diligence, contracts and document management
- Taxes and asset protection
One might be surprised to see the extensive types of courses included in the above list, which is by no means exhaustive. Students getting started should be made aware that real estate investing does not consist solely of buying and trading real estate. Rather, it is a complex vehicle that is best approached as a business. A full-fledged real estate investment program will not only provide property investing courses, but also training on the skills and know-how needed to run an investing business.
[ Want to own rental real estate? Attend a FREE real estate class to learn how to invest in rental properties, as well as strategies to maximize your cash flow and achieve financial freedom. ]
How To Choose The Right Training Program
Knowing how to choose the right real estate training program is understandably tricky. The market has become saturated with a litany of gurus and companies, each offering a wide range of options––from free real estate training to programs that are more expensive. As Harvard Professor Howard Gardner once said, “if you think an education is expensive, try estimating the cost of ignorance.” Most legitimate training programs require tuition, so it is of utmost importance to know how to pick the best real estate training company before making a commitment.
First, an ethical training program is one that is entirely transparent about the risks involved when investing in real estate. Programs should not make “get-rich-quick” promises. Instead, they should emphasize that time, dedication and energy are required to be successful. Otherwise, it is up to the student to find a program that best fits their professional and financial goals.
Prospective real estate investors should consider how much time and resources they have available to invest. There are many ways to invest in real estate; you can do so passively, or on a part time or full time basis. However, the amount of time you have to work on your business should help you decide what level of training you are looking for.
What To Look For In A Real Estate Program
- Proven Business Systems: It is recommended that you identify a program with a proven system that you can replicate to get your business started. Even more, it is advantageous to seek out an educational system offered by a company or investor that is currently running an active investment business.
- A Dedicated Coach or Mentor: If you want to invest in real estate on a part time or full time basis, having a coach or a mentor to guide you while you build your investment business is a smart choice. When it comes to real estate, things can change quickly and don’t always happen the way they are planned to. In these cases, it is extremely helpful to have someone that you can call with questions and to help guide you through more complex situations.
- Up To Date Documents & Resources: One of the most important things to have access to when starting a real estate business is the accurate documentation required for different types of real estate transactions and deals. Real estate trends and regulations change frequently and having access to the most up-to-date resources is key.
- Online Tools: A great way to access education is through an online portal. A high quality program will offer a curriculum that can be accessed online and have tools and features including: video trainings, examples of scopes of work, repair estimating systems, dean analyzer tools and more.
- Live Training Events: An advanced real estate training system will include multiple types of education styles, with one the best being live training events. Reading about a real estate strategy is much different than hearing about it from active investors, interacting in a live workshop or doing a walkthrough of an active investment deal.
- Community: Another great aspect of high quality real estate programs is access to the community. Networking is one of the most important parts of being a real estate investor. Rubbing elbows with fellow investors at live events or in online networking groups is a great way to expand your network as a newbie.
How To Get Started
Before researching different training programs, an important first step is reflecting upon personal goals. It is helpful to ask poignant questions, such as “do I want to pursue real estate investing part-time or full-time,” “do I want to take a hands-on or hands-off approach to deals,” and “what is my end goal.” Getting to know these qualities will help an individual decide what type of training program will best support them in achieving their goals.
Once you are ready for the next step, it is time to research your options. If you are just getting started and want to learn more about the opportunities available in real estate today, we recommend taking a 2 hour introductory class. This class is free and covers everything from how to get started flipping houses to purchasing rental real estate to increase your cash flow.
For those who are interested in starting an investment business, and are ready to invest in training, we recommend looking into the Mastery Coaching program. Our program provides a system for developing your real estate investing business, and is widely recognized for its exhaustive course offerings and customizable curriculum. Not only do students receive state-of-the-art training from industry professionals, they receive continued coaching and mentorship from market experts. The program also offers a wide array of trainings to accommodate every learning style, including bootcamps, seminars, one-on-one coaching, as well as online and hands-on curricula. Students receive assistance in developing personal action plans and proven business systems to maximize their chances of success in their investing careers. To learn more, visit www.fortunebuilders.com/mastery/.
There are many real estate training programs vying for a beginner investors’ attention, making it difficult for one to identify which programs are legitimate and provide the best education. Individuals who are thinking about investing in real estate are advised to define their short-term and long-term goals before selecting a program. Having these insights will help direct what type of program will best support them in achieving these goals. Furthermore, knowing ahead of time what a good program should have to offer, in terms of trainings and coaching, will prove helpful in making sure that the program under consideration is worth the investment.
Ready to start taking advantage of the current opportunities in the real estate market?
Whether you’re brand new to investing or have closed a few deals, our new online real estate class will cover everything you need to know to help you get started with real estate investing. Expert investor Than Merrill explains the best real estate strategies to help get you on the path towards a better financial future.
Register for our FREE 1-Day Real Estate Webinar and get started learning how to invest in today's real estate market!